A student can register for two major programmes with the permissions of his/her first major programme and the second major programme that s/he intends to register.
Declaration of a Second Major
- With the approval of the first and second major programmes, a student may declare a second major at the start of his/her last term of attendance within the normative study period. A student can make inquiries of the second major programme, and to express in writing his/her intention of declaring the second major at least one term before his/her registration for the second major.
- Before s/he makes the declaration, the student must have attained a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or above in all the courses taken before his/her last term of attendance.
- A student must have completed/registered for all course requirements for graduation purposes in the first major (including School/University requirements) at the time the declaration of second major is made.
Course Requirements and Exemptions
- A student shall be required to satisfy all the requirements of his/her second major before s/he can graduate with a second major.
- Subject to the approval of the first and second major programmes, similar courses in the two majors may be mutually recognized and such courses and units shall be counted in the requirements of both majors. In fulfilling the overall units required for graduation, the units of those courses shall only be counted once.
- A student who has been granted credit transfer from other universities has to satisfy the requirements of his/her major programme (and second major programme) in accordance with the relevant regulations, i.e., at least two-thirds of the major requirements must be taken at CUHK(SZ), for the purpose of graduation at CUHK(SZ).
- A student with two majors shall follow the study schemes of the University Core Requirements (General Education, Physical Education, IT, Chinese and English Languages) for his first major only.
Graduation and Degree Classification
- A student with two majors shall be assessed for graduation under his/her first major only. If s/he fails to fulfill the requirements of his/her first major, s/he shall not be allowed to graduate even though s/he may have satisfied the requirements of his/her second major and all other conditions for graduation. S/he shall register for a further term or year or specific courses to make up the requirements of his/her first major, provided that s/he is not required to discontinue studies.
- To graduate with a second major, a student shall in addition satisfy the following requirements:
a. S/he shall have obtained a GPA of not lower than 1.5 in all courses of his/her second major taken which are at 2000 or above level; and
b. S/he shall have passed the graduation thesis/project or any other requirements as prescribed by the second major.
- A student who fails to fulfill the requirements of both first and second majors shall be asked to make up the requirements of his/her first major only. If at the same time s/he can successfully make up the requirements of his/her second major and/or minor(s), s/he may then graduate with the second major and/or minor(s). However, a student who has not declared a second major or minor(s) before assessment shall not be allowed to declare a second major or minor(s) during the make-up period.
- The degree classification of a student satisfying the requirements of his/her first and second majors shall be based on the GPA of his/her first major, overall GPA and result of the graduation thesis/project of his/her first major (if any).
- Upon graduation a student satisfying the requirements of two majors shall have the degree of his/her first major awarded and both majors shown on his/her transcript.